JAVIERREGAY – Brief History (1- Historic and artistic). Text given by Lu in January 2010.

Vista de la Iglesia de Javierregay, Huesca, Pirineo Aragonés

Pintura cedida por Augusto. Vista de la Iglesia de Javierregay, Huesca, Pirineo Aragonés

JAVIERREGAY, IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF PUENTE LA REINA DE JACA

In the term of Puente la Reina de Jaca, knot of roads and important viewpoint to a wide sector of the Pyrenees, in the union of Aragon and rivers Subordán, and natural gateway to Valley Echo, Javierregay is located at 690 meters, after Boyeral orchards and the Bridge of Strider, with the tip of Mon, in the hills of farmland and oak.
Javierregay population is a beautiful set, which has been regarded as historical and artistic, Camino de Santiago. A Mayor Plaza full of charm and flavor, trace urban centers of population; and in it the building called the Palace rises, large, and where stands a beautiful eighteenth century craft, and which was, during the sixteenth century, the stately old family castle Latrás, and subsequently, Counts of Atarés.
In that space, landscaped, attend the various streets that form the road network, adapted to the topography of the city incidents. In the highest part, and projecting the remaining buildings, highlights the Parish Church, dedicated to San Sebastian, turn, pattern people, whose feast celebrating 20 January, and is a Renaissance building of the sixteenth century. It comprises a rectangular ship, provided with square tower, remarada this with archery on the openings of the bells.
In 857 the first date of that place is fixed, referred to as Notary Siresa. In doubtful authenticity document dated 1100, if le cites as ESSAVIR AGAY, including it among the people that the King of Aragon Peter I wanted to return to the Monastery of Santa Cruz in the serosa, having been before the membership of this. Little more than a century later, the 31 December 1203, the monarch Pedro II provided for the donation of the men of this village Peter Aznarez, and one of the successors of that, Pedro III, the 23 December 1276, first year of his reign, Javierregay granted in fief to Pedro Cornel, even though three years later, in 1279, le requirió granted before that potestad, although this noble knight held the place until 28 May 1293, happened in, by changing, the power of James II, who sold the Tower in 1298 Artal of the Orta, and all the people, the 22 October 1299, García Garcés de Arazur.
In 1387, Javierregay forma parte del Merinado de Jaca, y en 1495 a la Sobrecullida de la misma ciudad, figurando como Xavierregay, en el censo de Fogajes efectuado en este último año, con 10 fuegos, encabezados por el de su señor Johan Cavero y el resto pertenecientes a Martín de Pomar, Ximeno y Pedro de Aragües, Pedro Pascual, Johan y Gil Martínez, Martín Brun, Johan de Salinas y Domingo de Arto.
In 1571 la parroquia de Javierregay, perteneciente al Arcelinato de Larués, pasaba del Obispado de Huesca al de Jaca, sumando su población , in 1609, 11 fuegos, ya bajo el Señorío de Juan Sanz de Latrás.
El siglo XVIII lo comenzó con 25 vecinos y lo finalizó con 43, lo que supuso un considerable aumento de su población. Desde 1711 to 1833, Javierregay estuvo integrado en el Corregimiento de las Cinco Villas, y en 1834 se constituyó en Ayuntamiento, con pertenecia al partido judicial de Jaca, uniéndosele en 1845 el cercano pueblo de Somanés. In 1850 refería Pascual Madoz que sumaba sobre 50 casas, con 84 vecinos y 328 almas, gozando de clima sano y convatiendo por todos los vientos.
En el siglo XIX, en la guerra de la Independencia, las tropas francesas incendiaron en Javierregay el Casal o Palacio de los Señores, y a mediados de esta centuria -1857- este lugar, junto con su agregado de Somanés, tenía 424 habitantes, que ascendieron a 511 in 1900 y descendieron a 390 in 1953, tiempo en el que figuraba con 370 hectáreas de montes bajos, medios y dehesas, and 2003 de pastos, siendo su censo de cabezas de ganado: 25 de bovino y 1000 de lanar, 200 de cabrío, 116 de porcino, 80 de cabarllar, de mular y 13 de asnal, que se completan con 650 gallinas y 40 colmenas; disponía de una fábrica de electricidad y otra de esencias de espliego y un molino maquilero.

top